Wednesday, November 28, 2007

Exchange Rates & Beer Prices in Taiwan

Karl and I were bullshitting about various currency stuff while drinking a bunch of beer (always the best way to get meaningful insights) and we were thinking about how the soaring Euro should be making imported European beers more expensive in Taiwan relative to American beers.

I'm going to try to put some numbers to this and see what we find out. This post is a work in progress, and suggestions in the comments would be welcome.

Beer: Heineken
Country of Origin: Holland (in the EU)
Description: A nasty skunk beer that makes my tummy hurt.
Version: 330 ml bottle?

Current 7-11 Retail Price: NT$ 48?
Historical 7-11 Retail Price: NT$ 45?

Taiwan taxes on beer: NT$ ?? / L
(I can find that out at home...I have the info there.)

Wholesale price was close to NT$ 800/ case a few years ago...NT$ 33.33 / bottle.

No comments: