The author of the book Too Big to Fail (written in 2004!) made the following comment (paraphrased)
Bondholders can assume that they will be paid in full by the government. So, they stop caring whether the bank they are lending to will be prudent. Thus, risk is under-priced and when something is priced too low, you consume more of it than you might normally, .e.g. the bank actually takes larger risks.
I guess this logic also applies to small creditors like depositors who can rely on FDIC.
So, the perverse incentives for banks would be to be very big, and also have a lot of interconnections, counter-parties, etc. to make sure you are a major systemic risk.
.......
How about restaurants? Do you ever consider going in a restaurant but then have second thoughts based on cleanliness, lack of other customers, chef coughing over my food, etc.? I do.
But I never worry about what the hell my bank is up to behind the scenes. Are they lending my money to goat turd entrepreneurs or itinerant patent trolls? Don't care.
Is this a poor analogy?

No comments:
Post a Comment