BEIRUT, Lebanon - The Lebanese army expanded its troop deployment to several tense areas around the country Tuesday, saying its soldiers would use force if needed to impose order after clashes between the U.S.-backed government and Hezbollah-led opposition.
The Lebanese government is "U.S.-backed" in the same way that France's government is "U.S. backed" - its the legitimate government of a country. Its also "backed" by a lot of Arab countries excepting Syria. Its not some US puppet. Oh, and of course Hezbollah is "backed" by Iran and Syria - maybe that should have been mentioned in the first paragraph instead of the "U.S. backed" business.
President Bush expressed his support for the Lebanese army on Monday during an interview with Al-Arabiya television, saying Washington would continue to supply and train the country's forces.I guess that's what they mean by "U.S. backed.""We want to make them better so they can respond," Bush said.
The president confirmed that the U.S. military has moved the destroyer USS Cole off the coast of Lebanon but said it was "part of a routine training mission that had been scheduled a long time before."USS Cole: I hope you are luckier this time.
From the wikipedia article on Hezbollah:
Hezbollah has been one the main parties of March 8 Alliance since polarization of political atmosphere of Lebanon in March 2005. Although Hezbollah had joined the new government in 2005, it remained staunchly opposed to the March 14 Alliance.I see they have room left to book March 9 - 13 Alliances as well. Plan your holiday accordingly.

3 comments:
I wish the USS Cole Good Luck. And if she is attacked this time, I hope our leaders have seen fit to let the sailors have ammo for their deck guns this time.
http://afp.google.com/article/ALeqM5i-5i80_Uvhy62g3EcV9YFu1oIsfg
"Pentagon press secretary Geoff Morrell said the United States has provided 371 million dollars in US security assistance to the Lebanese armed forces and internal security services since September 2006."
Exactly what definition of "backed" are you using?
Karl,
I may not have been keeping up with the news then. I was under the impression we were not giving them much aid, let alone any military aid.
I wonder if this started after they had that battle with radicals at the refugee camp, because I don't believe we were a big backer of Lebanon previously.
Post a Comment