Monday, April 20, 2009

Podcasts

If you hate long commutes, plane trips, etc. I recommend listening to podcasts as a great way to pass the time. Better than music for sure. My suggestions as follows:

Comedy
Never Not Funny (I pay for this)
I love Movies with Doug Benson

Business
NPR's Planet Money

Lectures
London School of Economics Lecture Series
Swarthmore Lecture Series
econtalk

Miscellaneous
Stuff You Should Know (short)
Radio Lab by WNYC - public radio from New York - excellent quality
Chris Moyles (best of) - Its like your morning zoo except set in the UK
TED - I have not started on these yet, but have watched one of their videos - very cool - shows the future of metainformation, like googling someone as you meet them.

Note on podcasts...if you start listening from the beginning episodes , sometimes the quality is poor but picks up later, so don't get discouraged.  Hell most of these are free. Also, don't be afraid to decide something sucks and find something else. 

Audiobooks - any suggestions? 

Links coming later...




5 comments:

Anonymous said...

If you've got an ipod i can probably help you out on audiobooks. Aj

Anonymous said...

I do have an ipod...so help me out.

Red A

John Naruwan said...

I am quite the podcast junkie. Here's a rundown of my current favourites, roughly in order of preference.

1. Adam and Joe BBC 6. It's actually a comedy/chat podcast something akin to the Chris Moyles show. Have to confess to not really liking the Chris Moyles show all that much.

2. Phil and Phill's Perfect Ten. Very funny podcast. Well worth a listen.

3. Collins and Herring. Funny, but it's not for everyone. They pride themselves on being crap. It grows on you!

4. Tom Robinson's Introducing BBC 6 Music. This is the only music podcast I listen to. Eclectic mix of top tunage.

5. The Moth Podcast. True stories and anecdotes told on stage.

6. Stephen Fry's podgrams. Few and far between but great stuff.

7. Escape Pod and Variant Frequencies - two great sci-fi podcasts.

8. Selected Shorts. Classic and modern short stories told on stage by actors.

9. Tank Riot - I've only listened to 3 shows so far but I'm very impressed. They cover topics in real depth and do it in a humorous conversational style without being trite.

10. SETI - science and skepticism.
11. This American Life
12. You Look Nice Today. Some shows are brilliant but occasionally leaves me cold.
13. Thinking Allowed BBC Radio 4. High brow but not as dry as In Our Time. Depends on the topics being discussed.

I do listen to many others but it may depend on who the guest or what the particular topic is that week. Two quick extras I should add is The Dinner Party download and Stuff You Missed in History Class.

The only audiobook I've listened to all the way through to the end and would recommend is Scott Sigler's Earthcore. I tried JC Hutchin's 7 sons or whatever it's called and couldn't get into it despite, or perhaps because of, the hype.

Anonymous said...

Are you in town?
Aj

Anonymous said...

John, thanks for the suggestions...

I am in town AJ, but very busy...moving house...

Let me know where you hang out now...

Red A