Monday, October 12, 2009

Lacey Act

Another regulation for the US market.

Apparently you need to know the genus species and amount of plant material you use in your products that you ship to the USA. To make sure that nobody is using endangered species or stuff.

They even mention cardboard and paper - I hope that this will not apply to packaging materials.

But it probably will. Lawyers will decide that it does. Then we will have to explain to the Mom and Pop guys who make the boxes and print the instruction sheets that they need to tell us what tree was chopped down in Indonesia to make the paper for the instruction sheet.

Why can't we let Indonesia or China or whoever regulate their own markets for this stuff? I assume that Greenpeace can pressure them to ensure protected trees are not killed.

And it sure is a lot of paperwork (LOL) to comply to these laws - do they really save any trees? You know for sure that criminals clear-cutting ancient teak forests are going to figure out how to cheat the system - I doubt the US will be testing actual products - or will simply ship to other customers.

I guess it may make everyone use recycled materials for packaging, etc., as those are exempt I think. Even then, you still need to fill in the paperwork. I wonder how many mountains of data have to be collected and then ignored.


No comments: