1. Drug Trade: I really have no idea how to approach that, but I think poppy eradication right now is not a good idea. Some people want to legalize it and tax it to pay for the war, but I think this guy makes a lot of sense on why that can't happen. I also approve of his solution: do nothing.
By the way, the same reasons he lays out for why taxation in Afghanistan is so difficult surely apply to the planning and disbursement of aid. I have no idea what level of aid Afghanistan can absorb, but America's aid of US$ 10 billion in 2007 is about US$ 300 a head or about 30% of GDP per capita. It's going down now to lower levels, but when combined with other countries' aid its still going to be a large percentage of GDP.
2. Civilian Bombings: Supposedly US special forces are using airpower too much. Some of the criticism is for the special forces that operate out of Bagram under a separate HQ - which is bound to cause problems. It might have made sense in 2001-2002, but now we have forces in each province, shouldn't all forces be under unified command? Or maybe I am just thinking of all those cop movies where the FBI comes in and the local police don't cooperate.
2. Civilian Bombings: Supposedly US special forces are using airpower too much. Some of the criticism is for the special forces that operate out of Bagram under a separate HQ - which is bound to cause problems. It might have made sense in 2001-2002, but now we have forces in each province, shouldn't all forces be under unified command? Or maybe I am just thinking of all those cop movies where the FBI comes in and the local police don't cooperate.

No comments:
Post a Comment