Tuesday, April 08, 2008

Quasi-Karl Style Post

I was writing a letter today and had to explain a kind of part used in the assembly of some kids furniture. The word "shim" popped into my mind, but before I used it in the letter, I did a brief wikipedia search to make sure I wasn't using the wrong word.

Turns out the word "shim" meant what I thought, but it also had about a million other usages. Here are some of the weirder ones:

Fantasy

A drug harvested by refining fairy dust as extracted from enslaved fairies who are on mind-control drugs. Shim is an upper, with similar properties to drugs such as cocaine or ecstacy, and has the physical appearance of a pile of glitter.

Luthiery

In luthiery shims made of various materials are often used to adjust neck alignment.

(Not a weird usage of the word shim, but I had no idea what Luthiery meant.)

Todd Gilbert

A transvestite that this man usually targets in his various journeys while assigned to an US Navy ship located in the Seventh Fleet. Shim is slang for "She-Him."

No comments: