Wednesday, June 03, 2009

CT-fucking-PAT

Yes, yes, yes we goddam lock up the factory at night.

Some old dude named Mr. Chen is fucking in charge of that shit.

Yes, he also changes the batteries in the burglar alarms at regular intervals.

I guess. Because I am not really going to spend 5 hours on this little list of check boxes.

Breathe deeply. Breathe deeply. Breathe deeply.

95% of CTPAT is common sense stuff that any owner of a factory will do on their own because they don't want their inventory or equipment stolen. Maybe its just the cynic in me, but I suspect the natural avarice of capitalists is a stronger incentive than any concern for stopping terrorism. (Though, if you paid a bad man enough, they'd probably give you a key to that CPAT approved gate anyways.)

5% of CTPAT might be useful to teach companies to watch the empty container and how the container could be used for smuggling contraband, not just nukes.

Actuarially speaking, the amount of time spent waiting in lines, or filling out CTPAT forms might very well outweigh the lifetimes lost by actual terrorist acts.

1 comment:

Chaon said...

When that shit first hit my desk, I had a chilling premonition that America is doomed doomed doomed.