Thursday, January 18, 2007

Seinfeld: Jewish or not?

Canada has a sitcom called "Little Mosque on the Prairie."

... a new show called "Little Mosque on the Prairie," North America's first sitcom about Muslims. Elsayed gave rave reviews to the premiere of the Canadian Broadcasting Corporation's show about a Muslim community in a small, midwestern town, and he's eagerly awaiting the second episode Wednesday.

"A lighthearted comedy that portrays the Muslim community in a manner that is evenhanded is definitely a welcome change from hearing about Muslims as terrorists, as jihadists," Elsayed says. "This is a great tool for people to learn about Islam in a language they can understand, which is comedy. Also, it's a great indicator that Muslims are an integral part of this community - this is who we are, so accept our differences, not just tolerate them."
It sounds good. But I do have a question about this:

"We need something to show that Muslims are human," says Kamal Nawash, founder of the Free Muslims Coalition, an anti-extremist group based in Washington, D.C. "I'm hoping it ends up being something like 'Seinfeld' - a show made up by Jews where the whole show is based on humor. It puts life in perspective; it shows people that we're all the same at the end of the day."

Is it really wise to say that: "a show made up by Jews" when they do have many non-Jewish characters?

Publicists for the show hemmed and hawed when asked about the characters' religious identities, but a not-so-scientific survey of old episodes revealed that Cosmo Kramer, Elaine Benes and George Costanza are definitely not Jewish.


Then again, the two main creators were both secularish Jews. So I guess Mr. Nawash has a point, sort of. Even the non-Jew characters seemed pretty Jewish - or perhaps New Yorkish would be the better term.

DISCLAIMER:

I am not Jewish.

I was made an honorary Jew by two Jewish guys in the back of a minibus in Indonesia. Danny Goetz "naik butt" and another guy who didn't drink so I don't recall his name.

If I was Jewish I would be a non-practicing secular Jew who nevertheless bought a sukkah every so often. Eating in a tent is very cool.

ERRATTA:

Best of luck to Mr. Rahman:
But he's hopeful that the show will have a positive influence, both on how non-Muslims view his religion and on how Muslims see themselves. "At least somebody is brave enough to bring some humor to this sensitive religion," says Mr. Rahman, a coordinator for a gay Muslim group.

2 comments:

Rye said...

yet another 'nihowdling' has left the nest!

Rye said...

you're right about seinfeld... to call it a 'jewish' program is misleading. though larry david and jerry seinfeld are jewish, the show is more about the minutia of everyday life... and it had one key ace in the hole that sitcoms before it never had... no life lessons!