I like southern accents. Maybe its because they use better similes and shit.
Exhibit 1: "Look at the turd cutter on that woman." (paraphrased from IJ story)
I think this is the same argument Taiwanese make when they explain that they just cannot express themselves fully in Mandarin. After all, how in Mandarin do we explain that Singapore is holding China's balls? (Ya'll recall the LP vocabulary lesson?)
Now, I have considered that if I were really, really rich, I'd move somewhere in the South just to get my kid a southern accent. Think about it. Exotic female speaking in southern accent = investment banker....errrr, I mean bankruptcy lawyer bait. Daddy wants a relaxing retirement.
I fondly recall from my Uni days, the hottest thing I ever saw wasn't some garish display of bisexual blondes going lesbo, but a Vietnamese-American from Texas hottie making Chicken-fried steak for her boyfriend. Oh yeah, the stunning body made you gawk, but the beef fried in batter would keep you around to get to know her mind.
Okay, now the science:
"We all speak with the accent of the region we are raised in during the critical language learning period from 2 to 6 years of age. "
My kid now has 2 years left before she will forever keep her Californian-Filippino accent.
p.s. Why do you guys from Florida, Texas, and New Zealand keep mimicking my Californian accent. Its like you want to sound like me. Like my accent is some kind of standard. Its as if the whole world has decided to drop their own bullshit regional gibberish and accept the fact that Californians are their Gods. Kneel. Supplicate. Pay some additional taxes. You may go now, dude.

1 comment:
I was born in California, so that accent is in my DNA. Dude.
Post a Comment